Snapchat is a popular mobile app used by everyone. Within the last five years and more, Snapchat expanded to over 300 million monthly active users, considering 100 million of them are daily active Snapchat users. More than 400 million Snapchat stories are created per day. An additional estimated 20,000 photos are shared every second with 25-30 minutes’ time spent in a day.
Some of the pros and cons of using snapchat are as follow:
Pros of Snapchat 👍
- Snapchat unlocks the growth of your business. 71% of Snapchat users are under 34 years old which means it stands as the best social platform to invest in. When you have new products or services, teaser videos and pictures can be launched on your Snapchat profile to create a hype on social media.Since Snaps only last up to ten seconds, it can build up curiosity, interest, and a fair amount of buzz around your new products or services in your desired audience. Also, if you want to communicate promotions, products, or discounts to your customers, this is a great way to reach your whole network at once.
- It allows you to send videos and pictures, which will self-destruct after a few seconds after a person views them. These photos and videos are called snaps. The app has many features such as you can capture a photo or brief a video, adding captions and doodles and emoji to it. It also has a number of filters. There’s a feature called “snap story” where in you can add your snaps and it will create a 24-hour collection of all the snaps to let the world see it or just your followers.
- People from all age groups, especially 13 to 34-year-olds, love Snapchat but it is not just limited to them. Snapchat is feasible so anyone can easily learn how to use and optimize its features. Filters, lenses, and effects can be added to any type of Snapchat video or image message to delight (or terrify) to your friends and others which keeps up the interest and entertainment of the crowds. It is also considered one of the best mobile camera applications.
- The Snaps provides the users a more personal perspective of how the world sees them. Snapchat stories are raw, updated in real-time, and can only be viewed within 24 hours. Through snaps, the world sees who you are in the exact moment.
- Snaps can also be shared to other social media accounts to build a larger number of audience. These snaps can be easily saved to your cell phone too by simply syncing it with your photo gallery. The auto delete feature which serves as the main concept of as it allows you to be worry free about anything that you share. It also easily lets you know who took a screenshot of what you shared.
Cons of Snapchat 👎
- The self-destruct feature of snapchat serves as the biggest advantage and also the biggest disadvantage of snapchat. It leaves you no trace of what you shared, unless you take a screenshot and save it in your phone. Hence, you have to share it repeatedly to be available for others to see.
- It does not let you comment or like photos or videos as other social media like Facebook and Instagram. So, you cannot know the reactions and suggestions of the people. Although it has the self-destruct feature, some people can still exploit the pictures by capturing screen and thus taking the picture in question. Thus, an issue arises when it comes to the privacy terms.
- Snapchat work only on iPhone and Android. It is not compatible with other operating systems like Linux or Windows. This means you won’t be reaching out to the desire audience.
- Many complaints regarding software issues has been reported. The app freezes every time you try to make a video or the app itself crashes at times.
- The app gets very addictive to young and even to the old people because of the filters and stories that are easy to get hooked on. This wastes a lot of time, especially that of teenagers, thus distracting them from their life and studies.
- As much great it is as a social media marketing platform, the cost comes hand in hand. If you decide to advertise through Snapchat, then you will need to have enough advertising budget. You’ll need a reasonable budget to be effective with your Snapchat paid advertising. The cost for Snap Ads varies by campaign and start at $10,000/month. This means it is far too costly for small and medium size businesses.