In the words of biochemistry, cloning is the process to replicate (a fragment of DNA in an organism) so that there is sufficient to analyze or use in protein production. They are genetically identical copies that or produced naturally or in the labs. Every bit of their DNA is identical. The term is also used to refer to the production of multiple copies of digital products and software. Some of the advantages and disadvantages of cloning are:
- The organisms which are slow in the normal breeding process can be reproduced quickly.
- Some plants cannot produce seeds quickly while others have seeds which are dormant for a really long time. This problem can be overcome by cloning as we can produce these plants accordingly at a much faster rate. Also, the plants produced by this process are all genetically identical. Thus, they have all the desired characteristics in them. Cloning of stem cells will provide treatment for variety of diseases. The process is quick too. They can be grown at any time, in any season, anywhere in the world. also, the plants are small so they can be transported easily and grown in small spaces. Thus, mass production of the crops is easily possible.
- For research purposes, lots of animals and plants are needed by the scientists to conduct the researches. For example, the technique could be used to clone cows which give high yields of milk. It produces a herd of cows much faster than the natural way.
- Cloning it a life-saving mechanism. The important organs can be kept intact by cloning and can be used in cases of emergencies when the real organs stop working. It also helps infertile human beings to produce children thus providing an easy solution to infertility. It could also help future parents to theoretically choose the traits of their babies. It can also help to the fill the void for a shattered couple who lost their child.
- They are extremely useful in producing astounding genetic researches. The composition of genes and their effects on human beings and their reactions and behavior can be well understood in a much effective and successful way.
- A huge amount of genetic diseases can be cured by cloning. For example, if both your parents are suffering from diabetes, the result is you won’t be suffering from it.
- The endangered species of various animals can be preserved and no risk of extinction will exist anymore.
- The biggest risk from cloning to humans is that of mutation. When dealing with genes, the risk of mutation could occur. Thus, resulting in unexpected deaths and abnormalities. This is not a risk that can be taken lightly.
- It could also be paving paths for new diseases. Dealing with a completely new group of people, with o experience and research on, it means introducing many things into the human race. These diseases possibly being even deadly.
- It also rises some ethical issues some people believe that the practice is wrong as it I s playing with the natural ways of Gods. The duplicating is considered is wrong for the selfish purpose of study and medical purposes. Thus, it is considered to be unethical and causing imbalance in the society.
- The issues of clone rights also arise, questioning that will these cloned humans receive same rights and fall under the same laws as normal humans? The problems of civil and legal problems would arise due to cloning.
- No necessary testing is still embarked on something as insane as cloning humans. It is a very large obstacle in this type of testing. Due to the insufficient research and testing, the process of cloning on human can be really dangerous, keeping in mind the problems that already exist with animal cloning. Human cloning can might pose the danger of human race extinction too.
- Although the technique utilizes the cells of the organs of the person, there are still high chances of the cells to mutate. This results to a significant difference on the cell makeup between the replicated and the original organ.
- There is an expensive and extensive labor process required. But there is still no surety of it being successful. The process can fail due to many reasons such as microbial contamination. There is no genetic variation. The plants all produced are susceptible to the same diseases, for example not being able to work through the harsh environmental factors. The effects of combination between altered plants and natural ones could have a devastating effect on the nature.
cloning pros essay